Definition of sensitive plant in English:
1A tropical American plant of the pea family, whose leaflets fold together and leaves bend down when touched. A common weed of sugar cane, it has become naturalized throughout the tropics.
- Mimosa pudica, family Leguminosae
- Mimosa, the sensitive plant, folds up its leaves at night and opens them again in the day.
- In temperate climates, the sensitive plant is grown mainly as an indoor plant, usually for its fascinating behaviour.
- The sensitive plant commonly sold in stores as a curiosity is a member of the pea family.
2 informal A delicate or sensitive person.
- Perhaps the pressure was up because Godard was contested territory, favoured by the Screen group but also ‘the darling of the sensitive plants of Sight and Sound’.
- The implication is that poet-critics are some kind of sensitive plant, and their heads are easily turned.
Definition of sensitive plant in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan