Definition of sentimentalize in English:
Treat, regard, or portray in a sentimental way: (as adjective sentimentalized) the impossibly sentimentalized and saintly ideal of the Virgin Mother
More example sentences
- We censor it, sentimentalise it, treat it as a commodity.
- The story of a nun who befriends a man on death row never sentimentalises the issues, but is an unforgettable study of capital punishment's cynicism.
- To her credit, Leslie treats them seriously, without sentimentalizing the characters or their experiences.
- Example sentences
- Legal notions of spousal unity and the sentimentalization of a woman's role as ‘the angel in the house’ have often served to undercut married women's agency and autonomy.
- It's part of the well-documented process of the sentimentalisation of society, in which emotions are more important than facts and the most powerful condition is that of victimhood.
- Now, it seems, this babyish sentimentalisation of nature is regarded as a social attribute.
Definition of sentimentalize in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan