noun (plural septenaries)Back to top
- 1A group or set of seven, in particular:More example sentences
- The work, which resembles an oratorio more than any other work by Messiaen, is in two parts (‘septenaries’) of seven sections each.
- By December 1966 the work had grown considerably, reaching its final number of 14 movements, divided into two seven-movement sections (‘septenaries’), and now requiring six soloists instead of the five previously mentioned.
- Messiaen suggested that Salzmann should return to Paris on about 14 April in order to go through the score for the second septenary and take the material back to Lisbon.
late Middle English: from Latin septenarius (see septenarius).
More definitions of septenaryDefinition of septenary in:
- The US English dictionary