noun (plural septa /-tə/)chiefly Anatomy & Biology
- A partition separating two chambers, such as that between the nostrils or the chambers of the heart.More example sentences
- At this stage also, minor septa and shortened cardinal septum become easily identifiable.
- The trachea is unbranched, and is formed by the division of the foregut by a longitudinal septum into two tubes - the trachea and the esophagus.
- The ventricular septum and the atrioventricular and semilunar valves were unremarkable.
mid 17th century: from Latin septum, from sepire 'enclose', from sepes 'hedge'.
More definitions of septumDefinition of septum in:
- The US English dictionary