- 1Relating to a tomb or interment: sepulchral monumentsMore example sentences
- Now our stone may differ a little from the general run of Holed Stones found in many of the sepulchral monuments to be found in Western Europe to India.
- One is reminded of the painted marble disc of the doctor Aineas, of late Archaic date, but that almost certainly was a sepulchral monument, and in any case can never have been mounted on a pillar in this fashion.
- The tenuous suggestion that Stonehenge may thus be a sepulchral monument, is perhaps strengthened by the large number of burial mounds in the surrounding landscape.
- 1.1Gloomy; dismal: a speech delivered in sepulchral tonesMore example sentences
- Lee's sepulchral tones and commanding presence made the architect of evil a character to relish.
- He speaks in resigned, sepulchral tones, and seems to have a strange affinity toward shadows and corners.
- He has a point: it would hardly be right to wear a sparkly suit and tight trousers while singing stark, sepulchral songs about death, pain and sorrow in a voice like the wind whistling through his old Appalachian bones.
- More example sentences
- ‘Beauty is only skin deep,’ said Genevieve sepulchrally, cutting a pancake into little bits for her infant son, who seemed distinctly disinterested.
- ‘I've been lying for all I'm worth,’ he added sepulchrally as we reached the bottom of the steps.
- "He hates me," Mary Rose said sepulchrally, slamming her paper face-down on the desk.
early 17th century: from French sépulchral or Latin sepulchralis, from sepulcrum (see sepulchre).