noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
A hydrophilic amino acid which is a constituent of most proteins.
- Chemical formula: CH2OHCHNH2COOH
More example sentences
- The active site of trypsin involves a catalytic triad consisting of the amino acids serine, histidine and aspartic acid.
- In animal cells serine, threonine and tyrosine are the amino acids subject to phosphorylation.
- Hydroxyl radicals oxidize amino acids such as lysine, serine, arginine, and proline.
late 19th century: from Latin sericum 'silk' + -ine4.
Definition of serine in:
- The US English dictionary