- A fish of the sea bass family (Serranidae), whose members are predatory marine fish with a spiny dorsal fin.More example sentences
- The Epinephelinae serranids are comprised of about 159 species in 15 genera and are represented in all oceans.
- The family contains about 450 species of serranids in 64 genera, including the sea basses and the groupers (subfamily Epinephelinae).
- Serranids are amongst the most curious and inquisitive marine fishes.
mid 20th century: from modern Latin Serranidae (plural), from the genus name Serranus, from Latin serra 'saw'.
More definitions of serranidDefinition of serranid in:
- The US English dictionary