Definition of service charge in English:
1An extra charge made for serving customers in a restaurant.
- Maintenance of the pool and communal grounds is included in the annual service charge of €1,320.
- Restaurants that don't add a service charge will expect a 10 per cent tip.
- The three groups said waiving the service charge would be removing an income that an employee already enjoyed and it was an unfair labour practice.
2A charge made for maintenance on a property which has been leased: tenants could pay part of the service charge for unlet premises
More example sentences
- I have assessed an appropriate service charge for the property as being £1 per square foot of net accommodation.
- It is regrettable the final bills were delayed but lease-holders are fully aware each year the council will bill them with a service charge to cover a number of costs, including the maintenance of communal areas around their homes.
- The two-bedroom units are subject to a £275 service charge while the three-bedroom properties have an annual charge of £350.
Definition of service charge in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan