(also sesamoid bone)
- A small independent bone or bony nodule developed in a tendon where it passes over an angular structure, typically in the hands and feet. The kneecap is a particularly large sesamoid bone.More example sentences
- Plain radiographs may reveal the type of injury by the position of the sesamoids.
- A sesamoid bone may develop in the bicipital tendon over the radial tuberosity.
- The patella is the largest sesamoid bone in the body and provides increased mechanical advantage for knee extension.
More definitions of sesamoidDefinition of sesamoid in:
- The US English dictionary