A Eurasian oak tree with stalkless egg-shaped acorns, common in hilly areas with poor soils. Also called durmast oak.
- Quercus petraea, family Fagaceae
More example sentences
- We illustrate the method by considering the density of acorns fallen under a sessile oak during one season.
- Half of the field will be planted with native ash, along with cherry, rowan and hazel trees, sessile oaks and downy birches.
- The famous sessile oak at Marton, near Macclesfield, is thought to have the thickest trunk of any tree in England and its age is estimated at 1,244.
Definition of sessile oak in:
- The US English dictionary