- 1Start something moving or working: the mobile of five clouds is set in motion by a little fanMore example sentences
- Once set in motion and free of outside disturbances, the axes of these spinning globes should keep pointing in the same direction.
- This setup allows the wheel to be set in motion once the axle starts to turn.
- Once set in motion by the Creator they continued by their own inexorable internal logic.
- 1.1Start or trigger a process or series of events: plunging oil prices set in motion an economic collapseMore example sentences
- He dialled 911 and a bizarre series of events was set in motion.
- When the bank moves in to foreclose, she decides to double-cross the duo, setting in motion a series of events which spiral out of control.
- But then the education minister of the time, Thomas Wells, resigned, setting in motion a series of events that changed everything.
More definitions of set in motionDefinition of set in motion in:
- The US English dictionary