- 1A passage or section of a novel, play, film, or piece of music that is arranged in an elaborate or conventional pattern for maximum effect: the film lurches from one comic set piece to anotherMore example sentences
- It looks nice, plays well and has some great set pieces with the music placed to them perfectly.
- These comic set pieces sweeten the icing that coats Layer Cake's underlying darkness.
- The set pieces and special effects are superb, again because of Jackson's unusual approach.
- 1.1A formal and carefully structured speech: [as modifier]: his first set-piece speech of the campaignMore example sentences
- He admitted the set-piece speech wasn't his forte, pointing out his greater ability in TV interviews and off-the-cuff speeches, but he was never to gain the upper hand again.
- There's a fair bit of humour this time round, in between the bouts of violence and the various set-piece speeches Tarantino hands his characters.
- The real shift of policy then comes in a big set-piece speech.
- 2British A carefully organized and practised move in a team game by which the ball is returned to play, as at a scrum or a free kick: in the 89th minute another set piece produced the third goal [as modifier]: a hat-trick of exciting tries from set-piece movesMore example sentences
- Shortly before half-time Ribblesdale increased the tempo, with depletion of the Cumbrian set-piece allowing more secure possession and also a more stable scrum.
- Neither set-piece forces Boumnijel to work, but the pressure is building.
- With a third set-piece similar to Elliott's previous two efforts, Steven Hammell dispatched another commendable drive wide of the post.
More definitions of set pieceDefinition of set piece in:
- The US English dictionary