Definition of seven in English:
- Of the seven remaining, four have criminal records and three were convicted of the St-Laurent bar attack.
- His sentence of seven years represents four days and eight hours for each of his crimes.
- The new supernovas were found in galaxies ranging from four to seven billion light years away.
- I think I started at the age of seven, encouraged by my talented father.
- He was put in residential school at the age of seven and escaped several times, each time getting sent to a school further from home.
- Since the age of seven, he has sung in public, both here and abroad.
- The training starts sometimes at seven in the morning and does not finish up until seven at night.
- I turned up about half eleven and stayed until quarter to seven that night, and left others still playing.
- You are not working from seven in the morning until seven at night.
- The national stadium will also be the venue for rugby sevens as well as the opening and closing ceremonies.
- Jonah was part of the New Zealand rugby sevens team which struck gold at the last Commonwealth Games.
- The annual inter-company rugby sevens competition was held in the afternoon.
- (In Christian tradition) the sins of pride, covetousness, lust, anger, gluttony, envy, and sloth.Example sentences
- This claim is especially important with respect to anger, because within Christian circles, anger is identified as one of the seven deadly sins, and because as a culture, we often fear anger as the antithesis of love.
- Given the choice, if you were to add another sin to the existing seven deadly sins, which of the following would you choose?
- I am quite certain that neither my husband nor I have ever lectured John on the seven deadly sins.
the seven seas
the seven-year itch
throw (or chuck)a seven Australian /NZ informal
- Buy a six-year-old a puppy, and the old canine will probably throw a seven when your child is at university.
- Old King David in the Bible was about to throw a seven.
- Will our boy survive, or is he about to throw a seven?
Seven days of the week, seven deadly sins, seven dwarfs, seven wonders of the world, the Magnificent Seven…the number seven crops up again and again in history and culture. The word is from the same ancient root as Latin septem and Greek hepta ‘seven’—septem is the source of September (Old English), originally the seventh month of the Roman year, and of septet (early 19th century), whereas hepta is found in words such as heptagon (late 16th century) ‘seven angled’, and heptathlon [1970s] combined with athlon ‘contest’. The seven-year itch was originally a semi-proverbial medical condition, dating from the middle of the 19th century, but these days is a supposed tendency to infidelity after seven years of marriage. The phrase originated in the USA, and The Seven Year Itch, a 1955 comedy written and directed by Billy Wilder and starring Marilyn Monroe, introduced it to a wider audience.
Words that rhyme with sevenBevan, Devon, eleven, Evan, heaven, leaven, Pleven, Severn
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.