- 1Equivalent to the sum of three and four; one more than six, or three less than ten; 7: two sevens are fourteen the remaining seven were sentenced to terms of imprisonment (Roman numeral: vii or VII)More example sentences
- Of the seven remaining, four have criminal records and three were convicted of the St-Laurent bar attack.
- His sentence of seven years represents four days and eight hours for each of his crimes.
- The new supernovas were found in galaxies ranging from four to seven billion light years away.
- 1.2Seven years old: my mother died when I was sevenMore example sentences
- I think I started at the age of seven, encouraged by my talented father.
- He was put in residential school at the age of seven and escaped several times, each time getting sent to a school further from home.
- Since the age of seven, he has sung in public, both here and abroad.
- 1.3Seven o’clock: the meeting doesn’t finish until sevenMore example sentences
- The training starts sometimes at seven in the morning and does not finish up until seven at night.
- I turned up about half eleven and stayed until quarter to seven that night, and left others still playing.
- You are not working from seven in the morning until seven at night.
- 1.5A playing card with seven pips.More example sentences
- If the face-up trump is an ace, three or picture card it can be exchanged for the trump seven.
- However, melds of sevens and aces are subject to some special rules and restrictions.
- If the seven of the trump suit is led it wins.
- 1.6 (sevens) Seven-a-side rugby.More example sentences
- The national stadium will also be the venue for rugby sevens as well as the opening and closing ceremonies.
- Jonah was part of the New Zealand rugby sevens team which struck gold at the last Commonwealth Games.
- The annual inter-company rugby sevens competition was held in the afternoon.
- (In Christian tradition) the sins of pride, covetousness, lust, anger, gluttony, envy, and sloth.More example sentences
- This claim is especially important with respect to anger, because within Christian circles, anger is identified as one of the seven deadly sins, and because as a culture, we often fear anger as the antithesis of love.
- Given the choice, if you were to add another sin to the existing seven deadly sins, which of the following would you choose?
- I am quite certain that neither my husband nor I have ever lectured John on the seven deadly sins.
the seven seas
Old English seofon, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch zeven and German sieben, from an Indo-European root shared by Latin septem and Greek hepta.