Definition of seventh in English:
1Constituting number seven in a sequence; 7th: his seventh goal of the season the seventh of June he was the seventh of eight children
More example sentences
- Roslea is the site of an ancient church and convent dating back to the seventh century.
- Laws made in the seventh century could finally give way to the needs of the 21st.
- At the beginning of the seventh century St. Gobban founded a monastery at Leighlin Bridge.
1.1The seventh finisher or position in a race or competition: Jo Richardson came seventh
More example sentences
- Sunline came out of the Pukekohe race and then finished seventh in the Hong Kong Cup.
- Briton Steve Ovett finished fifth and Sriram Singh was seventh in that memorable race.
- In Athens, her Olympic career ended when she finished seventh in her 100m semi-final.
1.4 Music The note which is higher by a seventh than the tonic of a diatonic scale or root of a chord.
- The work lies far closer, at least in its harmonic thought, to American Modernism (say, Copland's music of the Twenties) than to what we might expect from familiar Creston - diatonic chords leavened with major sevenths and ninths.
1.5 Music A chord in which the seventh note of the scale forms an important component.
- It's got a great G major ending with a couple of Gershwinian sevenths and they just adored it.
- Heard in this context, it involves the destruction and re-incarnation of the melody; at the close it appears over and above a series of jazz pianist sevenths.
- Practicing fourths and consecutive sevenths challenges the ear in ways that sixths and thirds don't, in addition to enhancing hand stability.
2Each of seven equal parts into which something is or may be divided.
- The Plovdiv region alone concentrates a seventh of the arable land and 14 per cent of the labour resources of this country.
- He was critical of the small quotas, which would mean that one vessel could catch a seventh of the total for certain species in a single fishing trip.
- During his long reign he commandeered nearly a seventh of the land area.
in seventh heaven
- see heaven.
Words that rhyme with seventheleventh
Definition of seventh in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan