1 Psychology & Sociology The stereotypical categorization of people, or their appearance or behaviour, according to conventional perceptions of what is typical of each sex.
- Biller also found that father absence adversely affected the sex role identification and sex typing of male children.
- Labour market theories that stress segmentation assume a fairly rigid sex typing of occupations and hence a disassociation between employment and pay trends in the separate male and female labour markets.
- The sex typing of jobs and the accompanying systems of occupational segregation can be seen to constitute one element in the interlocking ‘Gender Order’ which can have the perverse effect of excluding groups of men from paid employment.
2 Biology The process of determining the sex of a person or other organism, especially in difficult cases where special tests are necessary.
- Are these methods of sex typing any more or less enlightened than ours in the late twentieth century, where we depend on penile function in males and reproductive function in females?
- Example sentences
- But now this sex-typed judgment goes a step further.
- Once each child reached age 3 1 / 2, a primary caregiver completed the Pre-School Activities Inventory, which assesses the child's engagement in various sex-typed behaviors, such as play with certain toys, games and activities.
- Gender-role socialization theories hold that social environments, from the level of culture down to individual family and peer relationships, teach men and women to display distinct sex-typed behaviors and attitudes.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sex typ¦ing
Definition of sex typing in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.