- A long, rambling story or joke, typically one that is amusing only because it is absurdly inconsequential or pointless.[from an anecdote of this type, about a shaggy-haired dog (1945)]More example sentences
- Great use of sound, lighting and camera angles draw you in to this absurdly eerie little shaggy-dog story.
- Still later, I was childishly confident that America had been invented by mean-spirited grown-ups as the setting for innumerable jokes and shaggy-dog stories that were wildly popular in my circle of acquaintances and friends.
- The pleasure comes from the journey rather than the arrival - a shaggy-dog story without the Beethoven punch line.
More definitions of shaggy-dog storyDefinition of shaggy-dog story in:
- The US English dictionary