Definition of shahtoosh in English:
1High-quality wool from the neck hair of the Himalayan ibex.
- Unlike other luxurious wools such as cashmere and pashmina, shahtoosh is produced from the fine, inner hairs of the Tibetan antelope - which cannot be shorn from the animal.
- Poachers have decimated the chiru populations to supply the black market trade in shahtoosh, which is among the world's most expensive wools and is 25 percent finer then cashmere.
- And the cashmere: you can buy pashmina by the yard and near-shahtoosh - that is, shahtoosh that isn't - but not even an antelope can tell the difference.
1.1Fabric woven from shahtoosh wool: [as modifier]: a large shahtoosh shawl
More example sentences
- Despite your efforts, thousands of shahtoosh shawls are still being woven in Kashmir.
- In 1999 United States Fish and Wildlife Service officials forced nearly 100 wealthy Manhattan residents to return shahtoosh shawls smuggled into the country.
- Duplicates of the paper-thin shahtoosh shawls (from Ladakh), which have been banned, are available in the local market.
Definition of shahtoosh in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan