Definition of shaker in English:
1 [with modifier] A container used for mixing ingredients by shaking: a cocktail shaker
More example sentences
- Put ingredients in cocktail shaker three quarters full of ice.
- Put all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with cubed ice.
- Pour all ingredients into cocktail shaker, shake very well and strain into a chilled, white sugar-rimmed Martini glass.
1.1A container with a pierced top from which a powdered substance such as flour or salt is poured by shaking.
- Neko eagerly reached for the sugar shaker and poured a hefty amount into his coffee.
- Even if the shakers contained nothing but salt I would at least have the option of minimizing the amount used.
- And realistically, even if you buy a shaker of salt or a bottle of chilli sauce while travelling it's going to be a hindrance and you'll probably just end up leaving it somewhere.
2 (Shaker) A member of an American religious sect, the United Society of Believers in Christ’s Second Coming, established in England circa 1750 and living simply in celibate mixed communities.
[so named from the wild, ecstatic movements engaged in during worship]
- The Shakers were an American religious community that was founded in Britain and came to North America during the Revolutionary War.
- More than two hundred years after this report the small, but continuing, United Society of Shakers lives, works and witnesses its faith together in Sabbathday Lake, Maine.
- The United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing, or Shakers, remain the longest-lived communal society in the United States.
2.1 [as modifier] Denoting a style of elegantly functional furniture traditionally produced by Shaker communities: [as modifier]: a straight-backed Shaker chair
More example sentences
- By contrast the compact kitchen is modern in design with shaker style cherrywood units, a terracotta tiled floor, Stanley oil-fired range and other integrated appliances.
- The living area includes a marble fireplace with slate hearth and gas fire as well as fitted shelving, while the kitchen is fitted with shaker style units, granite worktops and a range of stainless steel appliances.
- Features in the development include shaker style maple kitchen units with chrome fittings, co-ordinated wall tiling throughout the house and built-in wardrobes.
- sense 2.Example sentences
- Certainly Sister Mildred Barker, a vital and vibrant leader of Shakerism until her death in 1990 at the age of 92, was convinced that her beloved community of Alfred, Maine, had not merited closure in 1931.
- Since Ann died before Shakerism entered its community and furniture-building stage, none of these approaches tells us much about the founder of American Shakerism herself.
- By 1858, this power had evaporated, and the ministry and elders were far too busy trying to shore up a rapidly deteriorating Shakerism than to bother with what members were privately writing at home.
Definition of shaker in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan