Definition of shamateur in English:
A sports player who makes money from sporting activities though classified as amateur.
- Maurie Plant, ‘Andy's bag man’ in the ‘shamateur’ days of athletics, is the BBC's trackside ‘athletes' liaison ’, despite being banned in Australia after attempting to subvert a drug test at a Norman-organised event.
- But don't tell Fly the shamateurs're innocent.
- He's way better than all the other half-baked shamateurs who crop up in the canvas chairs during Davis Cup ties, but he's not going to win a major and it's not his fault.
- Example sentences
- Other sports retained amateurism and sometimes ‘shamateurism’ a lot longer.
- Kiwi Brent Pope arrived here in 1991, well ahead of professionalism, but at that time the game - particularly in the Southern Hemisphere - had more to do with ‘shamateurism’ than any Corinthian ideal.
- The infamous ban on rugby league in the Armed Services, which only ended a decade or so ago, was part of union's ‘shamateurism’ past which included the banning of any player who had gone near a league pitch.
Words that rhyme with shamateuramateur
Definition of shamateur in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan