Definition of shamateur in English:
A sports player who makes money from sporting activities though classified as amateur.
- Maurie Plant, ‘Andy's bag man’ in the ‘shamateur’ days of athletics, is the BBC's trackside ‘athletes' liaison ’, despite being banned in Australia after attempting to subvert a drug test at a Norman-organised event.
- But don't tell Fly the shamateurs're innocent.
- He's way better than all the other half-baked shamateurs who crop up in the canvas chairs during Davis Cup ties, but he's not going to win a major and it's not his fault.
- 1shamateurism noun
- Example sentences
- Other sports retained amateurism and sometimes ‘shamateurism’ a lot longer.
- Kiwi Brent Pope arrived here in 1991, well ahead of professionalism, but at that time the game - particularly in the Southern Hemisphere - had more to do with ‘shamateurism’ than any Corinthian ideal.
- The infamous ban on rugby league in the Armed Services, which only ended a decade or so ago, was part of union's ‘shamateurism’ past which included the banning of any player who had gone near a league pitch.
Words that rhyme with shamateuramateur
Definition of shamateur in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.