Worthy of or causing shame or disgrace: a shameful accusation
More example sentences
- To be weak and shameful is a disgrace severe enough to be punishable by death according to my standards.
- The history of racism in accusations and punishments for rape is sordid and shameful.
- Susan felt bad that she had hurt Jason but she quickly held back shameful tears so she could speak.
disgraceful, deplorable, despicable, contemptible, dishonourable, discreditable, reprehensible, base, mean, low, blameworthy, unworthy, ignoble, shabby, inglorious, infamous, unprincipled, shocking, scandalous, outrageous, abominable, atrocious, appalling, disgusting, vile, odious, monstrous, heinous, unspeakable, loathsome, sordid, bad, wicked, immoral, nefarious, indefensible, inexcusable, unforgivable
informal low-down, hateful
- Example sentences
- Their dedication to compromise is impressive… to the point of shamefulness.
- Hopefully, the shamefulness of the result will ensure the Parliamentary benches are purged for the election to follow.
- In 1990, the U.S. government acknowledged the shamefulness of this policy, formally apologized to Japanese Americans for implementing it, and paid token reparations of $20,000 to each Japanese American who had been interned.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.