Very shocking or upsetting: he found it a shattering experience
More example sentences
- Rather predictably, the adoption of a much more rhetorically republican tone by the Irish government produced a shattering blow to such hopes.
- However, the contender did manage some shattering attacks of his own.
- I can only begin to imagine the shattering impact of the killing on local people.
- Example sentences
- A shatteringly intense dissection of British mismanagement is promised at the West Yorkshire Playhouse in Leeds from Wednesday to Saturday.
- Much has been made of her operatic vocal range - a four-octave span that runs from a low infernal growl through shatteringly high screams - but there is a hell of a lot more to her performance than staggering vocal technique.
- In an afterword, she explains that she could never have written this ‘deeply private’ book without that sheltering expectation of anonymity, so shatteringly confessional is it.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: shat|ter|ing
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.