(also a pair of shears)
- A cutting instrument in which two blades move past each other, like scissors but typically larger: garden shearsMore example sentences
- The old lady had brought a brush and a pair of shears that she was probably going to cut my hair with.
- After it is snapped, trim the paper on the uncut side with a pair of shears or a sharp knife.
- Yesterday I used my magical powers (as well as a thirty-year old pair of shears in need of a little bit of attention with a whetstone) to trim the hedge that runs along the side and in front of the house.
Old English scēara (plural) 'scissors, cutting instrument', of Germanic origin; related to Dutch schaar and German Schere, also to shear.
More definitions of shearsDefinition of shears in:
- The US English dictionary