Definition of sheen in English:
A soft lustre on a surface: black crushed velvet with a slight sheen figurative he seemed to shine with that unmistakable showbiz sheen
More example sentences
- Unadorned, they rely on the soft surface sheen of the pewter for decorative effect.
- To seal the paint, I used light brown tinted wax and buffed it to a soft sheen.
- With a low sheen, the intriguing surface is full of movement and tonal interest.
verbliterary Back to top
Shine or cause to shine softly: [with object]: men entered with rain sheening their steel helms [no object]: her black hair sheened in the sun
More example sentences
- Nara noticed that his pale face was sheened with sweat, shining in the dim green light of the controls.
- The dog's rear tensed, muscles sheening through the short hair.
- Other great writers-Tolstoy, Bellow, Flaubert - seem to look through a clear - seeing inner eye which in Joyce is milkily, filmily sheened.
early 17th century: from obsolete sheen 'beautiful, resplendent'; apparently related to the verb shine.
Words that rhyme with sheenAberdeen, Amin, aquamarine, baleen, bean, been, beguine, Benin, between, canteen, careen, Claudine, clean, contravene, convene, cuisine, dean, Dene, e'en, eighteen, fascine, fedayeen, fifteen, figurine, foreseen, fourteen, Francine, gean, gene, glean, gombeen, green, Greene, Halloween, intervene, Janine, Jean, Jeannine, Jolene, Kean, keen, Keene, Ladin, langoustine, latrine, lean, limousine, machine, Maclean, magazine, Malines, margarine, marine, Mascarene, Massine, Maxine, mean, Medellín, mesne, mien, Moline, moreen, mujahedin, Nadine, nankeen, Nazarene, Nene, nineteen, nougatine, obscene, palanquin, peen, poteen, preen, quean, Rabin, Racine, ramin, ravine, routine, Sabine, saltine, sardine, sarin, sateen, scene, screen, seen, serene, seventeen, shagreen, shebeen, sixteen, spleen, spring-clean, squireen, Steen, submarine, supervene, tambourine, tangerine, teen, terrine, thirteen, transmarine, treen, tureen, Tyrrhene, ultramarine, umpteen, velveteen, wean, ween, Wheen, yean
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia