Definition of sheepdog in English:
1A dog trained to guard and herd sheep.
- On their last morning, the birds are herded by sheepdogs into a darkened ‘starving pen’ - and from there, they are attracted by the light into boxes with a hatch into the slaughter room.
- In this way it functions like a sheepdog herding its flock, always watching over and controlling the whole.
- This pattern of stimulus and response is parallel to the way that a shepherd might train his sheepdog.
1.1A dog of a breed suitable for guarding and herding sheep.
- Others, however, say the bull terrier crosses never occurred, while some people suggest that Border collies or other sheepdogs participated in the Airedale's evolution.
- Endeavouring to safeguard themselves from the debauchery of robbed apartments, many inhabitants of Magnitogorsk have begun to acquire dogs of the bigger breeds like sheepdogs and Alsatians.
- At the lower end of the animal scale, the popular breed of German sheepdogs was rebranded as ‘Alsatians’, and dachshunds disappeared from the streets.
Words that rhyme with sheepdoghangdog • lapdog • seadog
Definition of sheepdog in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.