- (Among orthodox Ashkenazic Jews) a wig worn by a married woman.More example sentences
- Wry jokes are whispered; remarks are made about the wigs (called sheitels) that the married Orthodox women wear to avoid the ‘immodesty’ of displaying their real hair.
- Married women wear a sheitel with their hair cropped short.
- I'm men in shtreimels and women in funky sheitels, I'm English, I'm Jewish, I'm yiddishist, and maybe a little bit Israeli, and loud and quiet, and shy and confident, and sure and not sure.
late 19th century: from Yiddish sheytl, from a Germanic base meaning 'crown of the head'.
More definitions of sheitelDefinition of sheitel in:
- The US English dictionary