- Ornamentation consisting of shells cemented on to a surface.More example sentences
- The armchair's densely carved scallops and shellwork, rosebuds, floral bouquets, and cartouche-shaped back are loosely based on the rococo style as reinterpreted in French pattern books of the mid-nineteenth century.
- Considering how popular shellwork was in Britain, it is not surprising that this form of ornamentation appealed to some well-to-do colonial Americans.
- However the fact that these two shadow-box grottoes were made by mature women suggests that shellwork was an amusing pastime for women of education and wealth.
More definitions of shellworkDefinition of shellwork in:
- The US English dictionary