- A line of trees or shrubs planted to protect an area, especially a field of crops, from fierce weather.More example sentences
- While few urban gardens suffer from the effects of exposure, in the suburbs, country, and coastal areas it pays to plant a shelter belt.
- It's a very good idea to start with a shelter belt as this will protect valuable plants in your garden from the ravages of wind and possibly salt-laden air.
- The first of my seriously damp patches to be tackled this year is a small area shaded by a shelter belt of ancient hawthorn and alder, and sandwiched between the original homestead and a steep bank that leads up to a meadow.
More definitions of shelter beltDefinition of shelter belt in:
- The US English dictionary