Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of shield law in English:
1.1A law that protects journalists from having to reveal confidential sources.
- Should there be a federal shield law for journalists who protect their confidential sources?
- But Mr Bashir invoked California's shield law which protects journalists from having to disclose their sources.
- The shield law protects journalists in terms of their news gathering and in terms of unpublished information.
1.2A law that protects rape victims from having to reveal details of their sexual history.
- For now, however, there is no reason to think that the prosecution will be one of the exceptional cases in which evidence of the accuser's sexual history will be relevant notwithstanding the rape shield law.
- The messages, the judge held, were inadmissible under New York State's rape shield law because they had to do with the accuser's sexual conduct.
- Prosecutors tried to protect the accuser's privacy under Colorado's rape shield law.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.