- A broad domed volcano with gently sloping sides, characteristic of the eruption of fluid, basaltic lava.More example sentences
- Debris flow deposits, formerly called ‘polygenic breccias’, are found intercalated between the submarine shield volcano and the horizontal lava flows.
- Mayor Island is a shield volcano with a caldera in the western part of the Bay of Plenty, off the east coast of New Zealand.
- When gas from the magma chamber has been exhausted, the lava erupts more quietly to form a broader and lower edifice, a shield volcano.
More definitions of shield volcanoDefinition of shield volcano in:
- The US English dictionary