noun[usually in combination]
- 1A person or thing that shifts something: each morning the rock-shifters travel by donkey cart to start workMore example sentences
- Any successful rugby team needs piano players, the backs who can string together a melody of angles and passes, and piano shifters, the forwards who do the heavy lifting, shifting and carrying.
- Overall, the van's make-over keeps it up to pace with the rest of the combi pack - none enjoying clear superiority over the others as load shifters.
- Setting up teams of helpers who can act, for example, as messengers, furniture shifters, hot drinks and meal providers and counsellors for those affected by an emergency.
- 2North American A gearbox of a motor vehicle or a set of gear levers on a bicycle: a new, improved five-speed shifterMore example sentences
- Magnesium is used in the steering column and gear shifter paddles.
- During one of the mountain stages, I saw an old-school front derailleur downtube shifter on Lance's bike, and then in a later stage, I saw one on Ullrich's bike.
- On the front derailleur shifter, the indexing cog appears to be exposed by design underneath the brake lever handle.
More definitions of shifterDefinition of shifter in:
- The US English dictionary