(also shitake, shiitake mushroom)
An edible mushroom which grows on fallen timber, cultivated in Japan and China.
- Lentinus edodes, family Pleurotaceae, class Hymenomycetes
More example sentences
- Then add the cup mushrooms to the paprika purée, the shiitakes to the coriander and mint, and finally the portabella mushrooms to the plain purée.
- In the name shiitake, take means mushroom and shii is the name of one of the various Japanese trees whose dead wood serves as host to the mushrooms.
- If you really can't get wild mushrooms, use a mixture of Portobello, a large flat field mushroom, a few shitake mushrooms and some of the brown chestnut variety.
late 19th century: from Japanese, from shii, denoting a kind of oak, + take 'mushroom'.
Definition of shiitake in:
- The US English dictionary