noun (plural shinties)[mass noun]
- A Scottish twelve-a-side game resembling hockey, played with curved sticks and taller goalposts and derived from the Irish game of hurling.More example sentences
- Take Scottish shinty and Irish hurling and divvy up a fair compromise to create a composite set of rules incorporating both traditions finer points.
- They are as different as rugby union and rugby league, shinty and hurling, Test match and one-day cricket.
- Also, unlike shinty, hurling is a geographically inclusive game.
mid 18th century (earlier as shinny): apparently from the cry shin ye, shin you, shin t' ye, used in the game, of unknown origin; compare with shinny2.
More definitions of shintyDefinition of shinty in:
- The US English dictionary