- (In the UK) a non-metropolitan county (in existence since 1974).More example sentences
- That is why thousands of Tory Party functionaries and supporters in their traditional shire county heartlands have turned their attention to building the Countryside Alliance.
- On three other questions, Wiltshire was the second best shire county, and on two more it came third.
- Plans to revive traditional shire county names has received a favourable response in Westmorland.
More definitions of shire countyDefinition of shire county in:
- The US English dictionary