The sleeve of a shirt: he rolled up his shirtsleeves
More example sentences
- Ben took off his coat so that he could sit at table in white shirtsleeves, waistcoat and silk string tie.
- He removed his cuff links and placed them on the table next to the decanter and folded back the cuffs of his shirtsleeves before picking up his whisky glass once more.
- Thus, a miller in apron and shirtsleeves would not be confused with a magistrate in frock coat, knee breeches, and silk stockings.
in (one's) shirtsleeves
- Wearing a shirt with nothing over it: estate agent types in their shirtsleevesMore example sentences
- Summer had come early, and we were in our shirtsleeves, sitting at a table outside.
- Now I've had to put my sweater in the washing machine and sit here in the none-too-warm office in my shirtsleeves.
- But one day in the summer I saw him in his shirtsleeves, the indelible blackish-green numbers of the concentration camp inmates tattooed into his arm.
- More example sentences
- Maurizio is unlike any doctor I've seen for a long while, nothing like my GP, in her jeans, or the hard-pressed shirtsleeved junior registrars in our local children's casualty department.
- His office is one of the few in the complex that does not have air-conditioning, and he prefers shirtsleeved dress shirts and rumpled slacks to tailored suits.
- The initial format was criticised as being less authoritative than other output on the channel, this being blamed on the radical colour and design of the set and the shirtsleeved male presenters.
Definition of shirtsleeve in:
- The US English dictionary