- A plant of the mint family, native to eastern Asia, used as a herb in Japanese cookery.
Perilla frutescens, family Labiatae (or Lamiaceae): many varietiesMore example sentences
- Related to mint, shiso blends its delicate minty subtleties with citrus and licorice; the flavor of the purple leaves is more fruity and less minty than the green.
- In a bowl, add the Asian pear, shiso leaves, and lemon juice.
- It was enhanced by the distinctive and refreshing flavour of chopped shiso, a fantastic Japanese herb that tastes strongly of cumin, with a hint of pepper and lemon.
More definitions of shisoDefinition of shiso in:
- The US English dictionary