nounchiefly North American
An act of polishing someone’s shoes, especially for payment: [as modifier]: a shoeshine boy
More example sentences
- Even the shoeshine boys spoke half a dozen languages, from Greek and Turkish to Ladino (Judeo-Spanish).
- Except shoeshine boys are generally smarter than editors, and will usually get out first.
- He worked at a local steel mill, was a gas station attendant, a store clerk and a shoeshine boy.
- Example sentences
- Imagine it - scruffy shoeshiners and grungy postcard sellers getting the chance to enjoy what so many of us take for granted.
- The rogue shoeshiners start shining your shoes before even asking for permission then follow you around demanding payment, yelling at you for ‘stealing’ from them.
- The new relief fund is intended to help the lower-income victims, like janitors, cafeteria workers and shoeshiners, and their families, as well as uniformed personnel.
Definition of shoeshine in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.