- A genre of Japanese comics and animated films aimed primarily at a young female audience, typically characterized by an intense focus on personal and romantic relationships: [as modifier]: the world of shojo manga is the natural habitat for love stories of all possibilities and combinationsMore example sentences
- Bizarre fashion spreads teach girls how to look like their favourite shojo idols—the cartoons, not the cartoonists—with makeup tips and where to buy those fabulous Japanese clothes.
- She says she likes shojo because, "They tell a story in art that makes a person have a special connection."
- It's on comic book stands now, so be sure to check'er out next time you're shopping for some shojo manga.
1980s: from Japanese shōjo 'young woman, girl'. Compare with shonen.
More definitions of shojoDefinition of shojo in:
- The US English dictionary