Definition of shoot-out in English:
1A decisive gun battle: we had all got cap pistols for Christmas and gathered in Dr Hadley’s backyard for a shoot-out
More example sentences
- The movie is monotonous and dull, with lots of fiery explosions, perfunctory shoot-outs, and gory battles failing to generate any excitement.
- A number of encounters and shoot-outs have been listed by media.
- The battle, involving about 270 soldiers, resulted in a shoot-out lasting some 20 minutes.
1.1 (also penalty shoot-out) Soccer A tiebreaker decided by each side taking a specified number of penalty kicks.
- If the match is still level, a penalty shoot-out will decide who faces Sweden or Holland in the semi-final.
- Has a goalkeeper even been sent off for a second yellow card during a penalty shoot-out?
- That's not necessarily so when footballers walk the plank in a penalty shoot-out.
Words that rhyme with shoot-outwhite-out
Definition of shoot-out in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia