Definition of shorebird in English:
1A bird that frequents the shore.
- These small shorebirds all have short legs and similar plumage and frequent mud flats in search of the same food.
- In the flooded fields there were some cattle egrets and small shorebirds.
- They can also be found in places not usually frequented by shorebirds, such as drainage ditches and mud puddles.
1.1chiefly North American A wader of the order Charadriiformes, such as a sandpiper.
- The river is a great place to spot shorebirds, including spotted shorebirds like the Spotted Sandpiper.
- Rock Sandpipers are unusual among shorebirds in that they commonly eat vegetable matter, including seeds, berries, moss, and algae.
- Here tens of thousands of semi-palmated sandpipers and other shorebirds feed on the rich salt marshes that dominate the landscape.
Words that rhyme with shorebirdbluebird • lovebird
Definition of shorebird in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.