- 1A bird that frequents the shore.More example sentences
- These small shorebirds all have short legs and similar plumage and frequent mud flats in search of the same food.
- In the flooded fields there were some cattle egrets and small shorebirds.
- They can also be found in places not usually frequented by shorebirds, such as drainage ditches and mud puddles.
- 1.1chiefly North American A wader of the order Charadriiformes, such as a sandpiper.More example sentences
- The river is a great place to spot shorebirds, including spotted shorebirds like the Spotted Sandpiper.
- Rock Sandpipers are unusual among shorebirds in that they commonly eat vegetable matter, including seeds, berries, moss, and algae.
- Here tens of thousands of semi-palmated sandpipers and other shorebirds feed on the rich salt marshes that dominate the landscape.
More definitions of shorebirdDefinition of shorebird in:
- The US English dictionary