noun[mass noun] Stock Exchange
- The buying in of stocks or other securities or commodities that have been sold short, typically to avoid loss when prices move upwards.More example sentences
- This market condition develops because short covering and not fundamental demand is fueling the rising price trend.
- Such short covering becomes a source of extra demand for a stock, pushing the price up.
- This news spilled over into other markets today, forcing short covering in copper and other metals.
More definitions of short coveringDefinition of short covering in:
- The US English dictionary