- Denoting a plant that needs a daily period of darkness of more than a certain length to initiate flowering, which therefore happens naturally as the days shorten in the autumn.More example sentences
- Flowering requires or is accelerated by short photoperiods in the so-called short-day plants, while the opposite is true for long-day plants.
- The effects of the mutation are often more obvious under unfavorable conditions, ie. short photoperiods for long-day plants and long photoperiods for short-day plants.
- For example, short-day onions grow in southernmost climes.
More definitions of short-dayDefinition of short-day in:
- The US English dictionary