Definition of short-handed in English:
1Not having enough or the usual number of staff or crew: the kitchen was a bit short-handed [as adverb]: the management worked short-handed
More example sentences
- Staff at St Luke's are short-handed, meaning the ones who are there are having to work in more than one area.
- According to sources in Ambon, these battalions have been utilised because the army is short-handed.
- He had checked her records earlier, and the only reason she was hired as a maid was because the staff was really short-handed.
1.1 Ice Hockey (Of a goal) scored by a team playing with fewer players on the ice than their opponent.
- Patrik Elias scored a short-handed goal and set up a power-play tally by Grant Marshall for the Devils.
- Graham Schlender scored two short-handed goals in a single shift.
- A little less than seven minutes into the second period the Mustangs pulled to within one goal when Sal Peralta scored a short-handed marker.
1.2 Ice Hockey (Of a situation) occurring while or because a team has fewer than six players on the ice.
- One would have thought that skaters most often used in the most defensive aspect of the game - in short-handed situations - would be the players most specialized in defensive skills.
- One would presume that those players who are on the ice during the most pressing defensive situations - the short-handed situations - are those players whose defensive skills are rated the highest by their coaches.
- It just taxed the Devils, who faced six short-handed situations one night earlier in a 3-1 victory at the New York Rangers.
Words that rhyme with short-handedbackhanded, candid, candied, heavy-handed, high-handed, offhanded, red-handed, unbranded, underhanded
Definition of short-handed in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan