2A hole bored in rock for the insertion of a blasting charge.
- On 8 June 1960, these two men had bored and filled fifty shot holes and had inserted electric detonators and connected them up in series.
- Further underground, and we saw miners drilling shot holes with their bag of dynamite neatly laid out beside them.
- With Chris, as my beautiful assistant, passing me the required pieces of kit in the confines of the dig, I set about drilling the first few shot holes.
3A small round hole made in a leaf by a fungus or bacterium, especially in a fruit tree following an attack of leaf spot: [as modifier]: shot-hole disease
More example sentences
- When the tallest fields reach about 18 inches in height, walk through fields to search for shot-hole damage in the leaves about every five days.
- Portions of the leaf tissue drop out, resulting in a shot-hole appearance.
- Count the number of plants showing shot-hole feeding and determine the percent of infested plants.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: shot hole
Definition of shot hole in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.