An athletic contest in which a very heavy round ball is thrown as far as possible.
- We had a lot of pride in his performance in the shot-put and discus and in his gold medals and records.
- Some of his shorter throws are delivered in a shot-put motion, as if the ball is filled with a heavy liquid.
- Among the track and field events were the 100 metres, shot-put, high jump, and javelin.
- Example sentences
- The Auckland shot-putter has been hot property on the international circuit this season.
- First she chooses to marry a shot-putter who is involved in steroid use.
- Someone will use it to build a better sprinter or shot-putter.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: shot-put
Definition of shot-put in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.