- 1A dabbling duck with a long broad bill.
More example sentences
- Genus Anas, family Anatidae: four species, in particular A. clypeata of Eurasia and North America
- Down in the pond there were mallards, northern shovelers, coots and a few gallinules.
- Far less abundant and therefore more highly prized are pintails and shovelers.
- The shovelers and pintails have reached the northern plains and have spread through much of Alaska.
- 2 (British usually shoveller) A person or thing that shovels something: a snow shovellerMore example sentences
- As Bella Vista's shovelers work into the late-afternoon twilight, the faint chiming of church bells wafts over from the nearby town center.
- When the shovelers come by, they shovel the bread, rats and spoiled meat into the sausage vats.
- Jurgis is hired at Brown's Meat packing plant as a shoveler.
late Middle English (denoting a spoonbill): alteration of earlier shovelard, from shovel, perhaps influenced by mallard.
More definitions of shovelerDefinition of shoveler in:
- The US English dictionary