Definition of showband in English:
1A band which plays cover versions of popular songs.
- His great colleague Brendan Bowyer, whose recording of The Hucklebuck remains the definitive showband song of them all, clearly recalls the sad occasion.
- The popular magazine is now carrying a regular feature on two showbands each week and is compiled by Frankie Kennedy from Athenry.
- Music for the evening was supplied by one of New York's top showbands - Tommy Flynn and his band.
1.1A band, especially a jazz band, which performs with theatrical extravagance.
- Ita loved the music of the showbands and the country bands and traditional Irish music.
- He is one of those entertainers who served his apprenticeship with well-known showbands, such as the ‘Premier Aces’ and ‘The Magic Band’.
- Back in the 1950s and 60s, Paddy was closely associated with the carnivals in Castleplunkett and had a great liking for the showbands of the era.
Definition of showband in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.