noun[mass noun] informal
The practice of visiting a shop or shops in order to examine a product before buying it online at a lower price: according to one recent survey, nearly half of shoppers were engaging in showrooming during the holiday season
More example sentences
- Of course, showrooming isn't the only force to blame for the pressure facing big box retailers.
- John Zhang suggests that showrooming may also prompt some retailers to completely rethink their business model.
- In a recent poll, roughly 40% of all U.S. consumers admitted to showrooming - using brick-and-mortar stores to check out products they intend to buy cheaper online, usually with free shipping.
- Example sentences
- Some retailers have tried to compete with showroomers by reducing prices.
- Savvy retailers are starting to use mobile technology to keep showroomers' dollars in their stores.
- The simple answer, according to two experts, is not to stop showrooming but to change the way the retailer reacts to showroomers.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: show|room|ing
Definition of showrooming in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.