Definition of shrew in English:
1A small mouse-like insectivorous mammal with a long pointed snout and tiny eyes.
- Several small mammals live in the park - genets, shrews, hedgehogs and mongooses.
- With the zoo's high densities of rodents (deer mice, white-footed mice, house mice, shrews, moles, and Norway rats), a relatively high density of rodent predators could be achieved.
- Foxes, rabbits, harvest mice, house mice, dormice, shrews, weasels, and voles all depend on the hedgerows as a place to breed, hunt or shelter.
2A bad-tempered or aggressively assertive woman: the girls became shrews and harridans
More example sentences
- Socrates was married, you know, and his wife, Xanthippe, was a shrew.
- Now, with this Ann doll, you can start training those young girls at an early age to become bigoted shrews!
- He was perhaps more in love with the study of philosophy than with his family - that his wife Xanthippe was shrew is a later tale.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan