Definition of shrimp in English:
noun (plural same or shrimps)
1A small free-swimming crustacean with an elongated body, typically marine and frequently of commercial importance as food.
- Pandalus, Crangon, and other genera, order Decapoda
- While blue whales may occasionally feed on pelagic crabs and small fishes, their diet is almost exclusively euphausiid shrimps commonly called krill.
- Eumalacostraca is the group that contains most of the animals the general public recognize as crustaceans, such as shrimp, crabs, lobsters.
- The trip north is slow for the cow-calf pair because of stops for nursing and the occasional meal of mysid shrimp or other food encountered.
verb[no object] Back to top
Fish for shrimps: (as modifier shrimping) a shrimping net
More example sentences
- It's fascinating to me that a man would move from Harvard Business School to shrimping to biotech.
- There was dinghy sailing on the Camel Estuary, shrimping at low tide near Padstow, dune-jumping at Rock, surfing on Polzeath beach, surfing anywhere.
- They watch porno films, sing old ‘revolutionary’ songs, and go shrimping in a shallow pond.
Words that rhyme with shrimpblimp, chimp, crimp, gimp, imp, limp, pimp, primp, scrimp, simp, skimp, wimp
Definition of shrimp in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.