Definition of shrimp in English:
noun (plural same or shrimps)
1A small free-swimming crustacean with an elongated body, typically marine and frequently of commercial importance as food.
- Pandalus, Crangon, and other genera, order Decapoda
- While blue whales may occasionally feed on pelagic crabs and small fishes, their diet is almost exclusively euphausiid shrimps commonly called krill.
- Eumalacostraca is the group that contains most of the animals the general public recognize as crustaceans, such as shrimp, crabs, lobsters.
- The trip north is slow for the cow-calf pair because of stops for nursing and the occasional meal of mysid shrimp or other food encountered.
verb[no object] (usually go shrimping) Back to top
Fish for shrimps: some families still go shrimping off the coast at Lytham at Trebetherick you paddle on Daymer Bay or shrimp off Gully
More example sentences
- Earlier this week we went shrimping with a Vietnamese fisherman.
- Down on the river there are public fishing piers that you can shrimp from.
- You can shrimp from the shore anywhere but you need special custom-made nets.
Words that rhyme with shrimpblimp, chimp, crimp, gimp, imp, limp, pimp, primp, scrimp, simp, skimp, wimp
Definition of shrimp in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.