Definition of shrimp in English:
noun (plural same or shrimps)
1A small free-swimming crustacean with an elongated body, typically marine and frequently of commercial importance as food.
- Pandalus, Crangon, and other genera, order Decapoda
- While blue whales may occasionally feed on pelagic crabs and small fishes, their diet is almost exclusively euphausiid shrimps commonly called krill.
- Eumalacostraca is the group that contains most of the animals the general public recognize as crustaceans, such as shrimp, crabs, lobsters.
- The trip north is slow for the cow-calf pair because of stops for nursing and the occasional meal of mysid shrimp or other food encountered.
verb[no object] Back to top
Fish for shrimps: (as modifier shrimping) a shrimping net
More example sentences
- It's fascinating to me that a man would move from Harvard Business School to shrimping to biotech.
- There was dinghy sailing on the Camel Estuary, shrimping at low tide near Padstow, dune-jumping at Rock, surfing on Polzeath beach, surfing anywhere.
- They watch porno films, sing old ‘revolutionary’ songs, and go shrimping in a shallow pond.
Definition of shrimp in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan