- On these days they do not enter temples or home shrines, or approach holy men.
- The Sikhs were also deprived of many historic shrines and holy places which were left in Pakistan.
- Many of my friends who are non-Muslims wonder why they are not allowed to visit Makkah and Madinah during Hajj while Muslims are allowed to visit their holy cities and shrines.
- The parade left Fred's home in Radcliffe Road, a shrine to his love of industry, at 11 am.
- The poster is still on the wall in the bedroom my mother has turned into a shrine to my success.
- In amongst the hand-drawn maps and dinosaur relics, I found in Room 26, a shrine to Mongolia's institutional respect for the environment.
- The church and Minster of St.Werburgs also would have commissioned him to make various ecclesiastical bronze ware such as Thuribles, Censers etc; possibly even elements to shrines and reliquaries.
- It is now accepted in art circles that the belt was a reliquary or shrine.
- The chests or reliquaries in which they were buried were often venerated as shrines and could also serve as an altar.
- There is a new statue in the shrine, larger and gold-plated.
- Adriana hid the trinkets in her bedroom, in her little shrine with its statue of the Virgin.
- The shrine's niche was full of so many old flowers I couldn't even see which saint was in it.
verb[with object] literary
Old English scrīn 'cabinet, chest, reliquary', of Germanic origin; related to Dutch schrijn and German Schrein, from Latin scrinium 'chest for books'.
Old English scrīn was a ‘cabinet, chest, reliquary’. Its ultimate source is Latin scrinium ‘chest for books’.
Words that rhyme with shrinealign, assign, benign, brine, chine, cline, combine, condign, confine, consign, dine, divine, dyne, enshrine, entwine, fine, frontline, hardline, interline, intertwine, kine, Klein, line, Main, malign, mine, moline, nine, on-line, opine, outshine, pine, Rhein, Rhine, shine, sign, sine, spine, spline, stein, Strine, swine, syne, thine, tine, trine, twine, Tyne, underline, undermine, vine, whine, wine
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: shrine
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.