Definition of shrine in English:
1A place regarded as holy because of its associations with a divinity or a sacred person or relic, marked by a building or other construction: the medieval pilgrim route to the shrine of St James a Hindu shrine at which offerings are placed twice a day
More example sentences
- On these days they do not enter temples or home shrines, or approach holy men.
- The Sikhs were also deprived of many historic shrines and holy places which were left in Pakistan.
- Many of my friends who are non-Muslims wonder why they are not allowed to visit Makkah and Madinah during Hajj while Muslims are allowed to visit their holy cities and shrines.
1.1A place associated with or containing memorabilia of a particular revered person or thing: her grave has become a shrine for fans from all over the world
More example sentences
- The parade left Fred's home in Radcliffe Road, a shrine to his love of industry, at 11 am.
- The poster is still on the wall in the bedroom my mother has turned into a shrine to my success.
- In amongst the hand-drawn maps and dinosaur relics, I found in Room 26, a shrine to Mongolia's institutional respect for the environment.
1.2A casket containing sacred relics; a reliquary.
- The church and Minster of St.Werburgs also would have commissioned him to make various ecclesiastical bronze ware such as Thuribles, Censers etc; possibly even elements to shrines and reliquaries.
- It is now accepted in art circles that the belt was a reliquary or shrine.
- The chests or reliquaries in which they were buried were often venerated as shrines and could also serve as an altar.
1.3A niche or enclosure containing a religious statue or other object.
- There is a new statue in the shrine, larger and gold-plated.
- Adriana hid the trinkets in her bedroom, in her little shrine with its statue of the Virgin.
- The shrine's niche was full of so many old flowers I couldn't even see which saint was in it.
verb[with object] literary Back to top
Words that rhyme with shrinealign, assign, benign, brine, chine, cline, combine, condign, confine, consign, dine, divine, dyne, enshrine, entwine, fine, frontline, hardline, interline, intertwine, kine, Klein, line, Main, malign, mine, moline, nine, on-line, opine, outshine, pine, Rhein, Rhine, shine, sign, sine, spine, spline, stein, Strine, swine, syne, thine, tine, trine, twine, Tyne, underline, undermine, vine, whine, wine
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India